Coda File System

venus, she is strange sometimes :-)

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:40:07 +0100 (MET)
Hello Jan (as the almost only active developer seen on the list... :)
and all the Coda friends,

I have set up a couple of new clients and tried to give them bigger caches
as the disks allowed.

Well, it works with 900Mbyte cache.

Now about the problems:

 - the problem has been triggered by "abcde" (A Better CD Encoder"
that is a complicated shell script running a lot of posix-style programs.
All of the programs it runs are (very simple) shell wrappers to the real
binaries, running a statically linked shell as the interpreter, from Coda,
like

#!/coda/<some-path-approximately-this-long>/sh

Once in a while I get messages like
"/coda/<some-path-here>/grep: bad interpreter: Is a directory"
or
"/coda/<some-path-here>/tail: bad interpreter: Is a directory"

Both programs run fine most of the time even from the same script on the
same data.

After that message it is sometimes possible to (re)run the script,
but venus is likely to behave strangely, *some* (sometimes all) processes
hang while trying to access coda. Restart (reboot as I can't umount /coda
with hanged processes, nor can't kill them) cures the problems and the
system works again.

 - another problem (seen on the clients with smaller caches) is that after
bigger files updates that trigger write-disconnected mode, after some or
many reintegrating...SUCCESS messages on the console, venus dies and then
gets assertion failed (about "volume -> is replicated") on restars.
That is curable by cache reinit.

Any ideas?

Except for these glitches (: and servers not replicating and not
updating databases automagically, probably because of my subnet numbers,
Jan knows) I'm very content with Coda.

It is a very nice filesystem,
keep the great work going!

Thanks,