Coda File System

Need help with passwords...

From: David H Elrod <dhelrod_at_rivendell.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 16:26:42 -0700
I got coda up and running (version 5.3.15), both client and
server. As long as I use the first account, with a password
of "changeme" then I can clog in and use the system.

When I tried to change the password for my second user I get
something like:

% au nu
Your Vice name: coda
Your password:
RPC2_Bind() --> RPC2_SUCCESS
Vice user: dhelrod
New password: hello2
New info: David Elrod
AuthNewUser() --> AUTH_FAILED
%

I get something similar when I try to change the "coda" accounts
password to something a bit more secure (than "changeme").

Here is my user list:

% pdbtool
pdbtool> list
USER System
  *  id: 1
  *  belongs to groups: [ -2 ]
  *  cps: [ -2 1 ]
  *  owns groups: [ -2 ]
USER coda
  *  id: 98
  *  belongs to groups: [ -1 ]
  *  cps: [ -1 98 ]
  *  owns groups: [ -1 ]
USER dhelrod
  *  id: 1000
  *  belongs to no groups
  *  cps: [ 1000 ]
  *  owns no groups
GROUP System:AnyUser OWNED BY System
  *  id: -2
  *  owner id: 1
  *  belongs to no groups
  *  cps: [ -2 ]
  *  has members: [ 1 ]
GROUP System:Administrators OWNED BY coda
  *  id: -1
  *  owner id: 98
  *  belongs to no groups
  *  cps: [ -1 ]
  *  has members: [ 98 ]
pdbtool> exit
%

It looks, to this beginner, that the user "coda" is in the
"System:Administrators" group (id: -1).

>From an earlier email, this user should be allowed to change
the password for the user "dhelrod".

Looking at the log files hasn't been much help.  When I modified
/etc/rc.d/init.d/auth2.init to give the "-x 99" flag to get debug
messages, I still can't see any details logged to the log file
(/vice/auth2/AuthLog).  I get a startup message:
    Starting  Auth Server......
but nothing else.

I tried running "au -x nu" to see if I could get more explaination,
and had no luck.

I looked through the server log (/vice/svr/SvrLog-1) but there
didn't seem to be any applicable messages there.  Likewise, my
system longs (/var/log/*) don't get updated on failure.

Does anyone have something else to try?

David Hunter Elrod                   Rivendell Technologies, Inc
dhelrod_at_rivendell.com                1111 W. El Camino #109, PMB348
http://www.rivendell.com             Sunnyvale, CA 94087-0126
Voice: 650/254-1790                  Fax: 650/254-1792