Coda File System

Re: crash

From: Florian Schaefer <listbox_at_netego.de>
Date: Mon Aug 27 13:29:12 2001
On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:07:04 -0400, Jan Harkes said:
> This line number is useless it is the place where we trap the server
> when it is hit by a segfault. Only a gdb backtrace could tell me
> approximately where the segfault occured.

But that would mean that there has to be a core-dump somewhere. I haven't
seen one of those around, even a locate didn't find a core file.

> > Reintegrate florian, (2, 424) ( 19:11:43 )
> > BackFetch floyd.netego.de, test [0] ( 19:11:46 )
> > connection::bandwidth floyd.netego.de 791 1599 1000000000 ( 19:11:47 )
>
> It has probably crashed during the backfetch. I'm wondering whether it
> crashed during the SFTP transfer.

I don't know: First of all, what is SFTP?

> > With the old version everything was just fine. I actually got the first
> > crash after I updated the client and before I updated the server but I
>
> A client should not be able to crash the server that easily.

Glad to hear this.

> > hoped that updating the server would fix the problem and updated it as
> > well. What have I done wrong?
>
> I don't know what's wrong, which versions of lwp/rpc2/coda are the 'old
> version' and which are the 'new version'?

Ok, let's start with the server:
coda-debug-server-5.3.15-1
lwp-1.8-1
rpc2-1.12-1
rvm-1.6-1

And this is my updated client:
coda-debug-client-5.3.15-1
lwp, rpc2, rvm the same packages as on the server

I've got another client with "older" packages (everything minus two
versions):
coda-debug-client-5.3.13-1
lwp-1.6-1
rpc2-1.10-1
rvm-1.4-1

Now I start the server and my client with the newer versions. After a
command like "cfs cs" vice crashes with a CRASH-file in /vice/srv.
Then I delete the CRASH-file, restart vice and try to access it through
my other client with the older packages. No crash, everything works fine.

This is why I tried to downgrade my updated client and installed
coda-debug-client-5.3.13-1 on it again but kept the newer lwp, rpc2 and
rvm versions (was that wise?) but now starting venus won't even mount my
partition. Sorry, I do not have an output of this error right now but
tell me if you need one. Anyway, I upgraded again to have at least access
to my cached data.

I'd be glad to give you more information, just ask for it.

Ciao
Florian