Coda File System

Re: VLDB & Re: codasrv: open_log failed RVM_EIO

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:20:11 -0400
On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:58:51PM -0500, ctest_at_neural.dlsemc.com wrote:
> I'm the guy with the same problem under debian, and this solution
> worked fine for me.  I believe that it looks in /vice, not /vice/db.
> I now have a server that stays up.  To test it i tried moving my venus
> client from the testing "playground" to my own machine.  This caused
> "GetRootVolume: can't get volinfo for root volume (coda:root)!"
> problems.  I'm guessing it's cause the cache was initialized for the
> playground volume, but i switched it.  I'll try initializing the cache
> again, but where is venus-setup in the debian packages? it does not
> seem to be on my system.
>
> Interestingly my server reports:
> VLDBLookup:VLDB_size unset. Calling VCheckVLDB()
> Vcheck VLDB:  could not open VLDB
> VLDBLookup: No or bad vldb.
>
> in it's logs which could also be the problem.

Generally this indicates that there are no volumes on the server, which
is a good indication why the client is failing to get the rootvolume.

If 'volutil getvolumelist' doesn't return any volume information either,
you must have forgotten to create the initial rootvolume after starting
the server.

    createvol_rep `cat /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME` E0000100

should fix that problem.