Coda File System

Re: newbie server question

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:03:56 -0400
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 04:52:14PM -0700, Dave Thomas wrote:
> Since files seem to be created on /vicepa/0/0... this isn't as
> trivial a problem that I at first thought.

And a lot of metadata which is associated with the files in /vicepa is
stored in RVM, version vectors, directories, ACL's etc. The only way to
populate a Coda server is exactly the way you describe.

> So I tried setting up the client binaries on the server, but
> it gets *really* unhappy when I try to write to it:
> I can read files and move around the directory tree.  But I can't
> write:
>
> # cat >> /coda/tempfile
> lawerlshlkjha
> cat: write error: No such file or directory

That must be some client error I would have expected EPERM or something.
Does anything show up in /usr/coda/etc/venus.log when you try to do
that? What is the file system type where /usr/coda/venus.cache is located?

> How is this supposed to work?

    # cat >> /coda/tempfile
    lawerlshlkjha
    # cat /coda/tempfile