Coda File System

volutil rpc2 errors

From: Ryan M. Lefever <lefever_at_crhc.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 22:18:31 -0500 (CDT)
Hi,

I am trying to fix some RPC2 problems that I have when using volutil.

When I do a "volutil setdebug", the following happens no matter whether I
do it locally or remotely, or to the SCM or a non-SCM. Also, a
/vice/srv/CRASH file is created.

--
[root_at_nsx srv]# startserver -d 1000
[root_at_nsx srv]# volutil setdebug 100

The SrvLog file reads:

--
21:33:47 VolUtilWorker 0 received request -13
21:33:47 VolUtilWorker 1 received request 13

The SrvErr file reads:

--
could not open key 2 file: No such file or directory
Assertion failed: 0, file "srv.cc", line 336

I looked in the RPC2 manual.  An "RPC2_DEAD" completion code implies that
"You were waiting for requests on a specific connection and that site has
been deemed dead or unreachable."  This would seem to indicate that
setdebug killed the server and then the RPC2 call reported it dead with an
"RPC2_DEAD" completion code.

Other volutil commands seems to work fine, such as "volutil udpatedb",
"volutil shutdown", and "volutil info".

I am using the software below.  It was the latest available from the Coda
webpage when I took it.  I compiled Coda from source. I want to use the
source rather than the Coda support that comes with the Linux kernel.

rpc2                            1.10-1
rpc2-devel                      1.10-1
lwp                             1.6-1
lwp-devel                       1.6-1
coda                            5.3.13
linux-coda (kernel module)      5.2.3
Redhat                          6.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  It would be nice and convenient to
be able to change the debug level during runtime.  Furthermore, if there
is a problem with RPC2, I would like to determine that.

Thank you,
Ryan

Ryan M. Lefever

  [lefever_at_uiuc.edu]
  [217.244.8887]
  [http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~lefever]

  Graduate Research Assistant
  Center for Reliable and High-Performance Computing -- PERFORM