Coda File System

Re: codasrv quits uppon startup

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:54:25 -0500
On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 03:47:04PM -0600, ctest_at_neural.dlsemc.com wrote:
> codasrv seems to quit uppon startup.  the log file says:
> open_log failed.
> do_rvm_options failed
> 13:33:56 rvm_init failed RVM_EIO

> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     94371840 Mar 28 14:42 datafile
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      2098688 Mar 28 14:42 logfile
>
> the logfile is there, and was auto-generated by vice-setup.  so i'm fuzzy as
> to why openlog would fail.  should i be runing codasrv as root or the coda
> admin?  (i assume creating the volume (when i get to that stage) should be
> done by the coda admin?)

The codaserver needs read-write access to the RVM log and data files as
well as the /vicepa directory, as they are only writeable by root, I
would assume that codasrv needs to run as root.

We tend to run the various Coda daemons as root, although for security
reasons we really should only be running rpc2portmap and auth2, which
bind to low numbered ports, as root.

> And i hope recource_limit=-1 means that there is no resource limit,
> otherwize i've got another problem. :)

Coda uses very large mmaps, at least as much as the size of the RVM
datafile. So we tend to push most machine that have less physical memory
installed deeply into swap. NetBSD has quite conservative default ulimit
settings to avoid overcommit problems and we pretty much always hit
these limits, so RVM (or maybe just the codasrv process) tends to
disable any imposed limits on memory allocation.