Coda File System

Re: Reintegration problem

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:00:16 -0500
On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 07:40:57PM +0100, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am fiddling around with a problem I have.
> The data in question is not vital, but I'd like
> to understand what's going on before it *is* vital.
>
> I have a volume that is write-only but connected,
> after the client was disconnected and I *know*
> which files are in conflict. Volume state is:
>
> 	sneumann_at_Enceladus:/coda/vol/ai/share/laptop_liste > cfs lv .
> 	  Status of volume 0xffffffff (4294967295) named "A_Local_Fake_Volume"
> 	  Offline message is "This directory is made a fake volume because there is a conflict"
> 	  Volume type is ReadOnly
> 	  Connection State is Connected
>
> The console shows me there is a conflict:
> 	19:28:55 Local inconsistent object at /coda/vol/ai/share/laptop_liste, please check!
>
> Question: how to check ? The other tools deny the problem:
>
> 	sneumann_at_Enceladus:/coda/vol/ai/share/laptop_liste > cfs beginrepair .
> 	. isn't inconsistent
>
> 	repair > beginrepair .
> 	Could not allocate new repvol: Not leftmost conflict: Object not in conflict
> 	beginrepair failed.

Get out of the directory, you're blocking the conflict from turning into
a symbolic link, and then into a expanded view that shows all versions
of the conflict.

    $ cd ..
    $ ls -l laptop-liste # should show a dangling symlink.
    laptop-liste -> @7f0000xx.xxx.xxx
    $ repair
    > beginrepair laptop-liste
    > listlocal
    > checklocal
    > discardlocal
    > checklocal
    > preservelocal
    > etc...

> I can't even flush the files:
>
> 	sneumann_at_Enceladus:/coda/vol/ai/share/laptop_liste > cfs flushobject /coda/vol/ai/share/laptop_liste/*
>         DANGER:   these files will be lost, if disconnected
>         Do you really want to do this? [n] y
>         Fools rush in where angels fear to tread ........
> 	  /coda/vol/ai/share/laptop_liste/Enceladus  Can't flush active file

Coda tries to `protect you' from throwing away files with associated CML
entries.

> Any clues, short of venus -init  ?

cfs purgeml /coda/vol/ai/share can be used to throw aways all the local
changes and return to a 'sane' state.