Coda File System

Re: vice-setup-rvm

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:03:08 -0500
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 06:50:26PM +0000, rowe_at_excc.exeter.ac.uk wrote:
> I'm planning on dipping my toe into the coda waters with a file system
> of around 34 GB. Since this isn't one of the options supported by
> vice-setup-rvm I thought I would just hack the script by taking the
> 3.3 GB option and just multiplying everything by 10.
>
> Is this sensible or are there some gotchas?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

On big gotcha is the address-space for a process. You might have to move
the startaddress around to be able to fit a huge mmap. And you'll
probably need as much swap space as the size of the RVM data segment.

Another thing is to enable `mapprivate' in the server.conf file,
otherwise the startup time of the server will be far too long as it
would try to read everything from disk to vm which is then pushed out to
swap. On Linux, private mmap only works on files, so rvm-data has to be
a regular file and not a raw partition.