Coda File System

newbie question time

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:42:05 +0900 (JST)

    Simon> * what's the status of Coda behind NAT devices?  I got
    Simon> coda-client to work fine on a clean redhat7 box, but
    Simon> another box with linux-2.4.0-test9 behind a NAT device
    Simon> printed the following.  I'm not sure whether it's related
    Simon> to 2.4.0t9 or NAT though...

It's NAT.  As currently designed, Coda cannot work behind NAT, because
the server will asynchronously try to talk to a specific port on the
client.  There are no provisions for associating different ports with
different clients, so you can run at most one Coda client per
server-visible address.

What I have done is set up a VPN ("private" is unnecessary for this
application, of course) and put the coda server on that.  I don't know
if you could have a single server on two nets, though, haven't tried
it yet.  Don't know why not, anyway.