Coda File System

Re: Client and server on the same machine?

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:37:20 -0400
> I don't think so.  I think it's config file processing lossage; I get
> the same errors with my Debian Linux setup but using the -h option
> wins.  (This is not to say that it isn't at root a lookup problem,
> quite possibly in glibc, but if one path to the lookup works and
> another fails, there is definitely a bug in Coda.)

Ah - now that you mention this, I have a dim memory of something
similar.  I think in my case the -h option worked (and apparently
looked in the host table) whereas the config file only worked if DNS
was working.

> You might also check into gethostby*() vs. the Unix98 version,
> getsomethingorothersomehow().  (Well, anyway, there is a new function
> and recent GNU libc's deprecate the gethostby* interface.)

I've seen these start to show up in *BSD.  I suppose it would be good to have
autoconf check for these and use them if present.  There is also
getaddrinfo:

     getaddrinfo(const char *nodename, const char *servname,
             const struct addrinfo *hints, struct addrinfo **res)

which the KAME (ipv6/ipsec for *bsd) flavor of programs seem to use
for ipv6.  I don't know where this sits standards-wise.  (I realize
Coda has a long way to go before it works with ipv6, but every little
bit helps.)