Coda File System

getvolumelist returns bad chars

From: Stephan Koledin <SKoledin_at_fool.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:57:59 -0400
Hello, seems like I have yet another issue...

On serveral different server incarnations, I have repeatedly run into an
problem with getvolumelist (as in a `volutil getvolumelist` or the
/vice/vol/BigVolumeList file) returning control/unprintable characters in
addition to normal text. It wasn't a major issue for me previously as it
seemed primarily cosmetic, but now it seems to be affecting replicated
volume creation and perhaps other things as well.

For example, here's an example (first few lines for context, problem on last
line):
[root_at_deckard /vice]# volutil getvolumelist
V_BindToServer: binding to host deckard
P/vicepa Hdeckard T4e910f F4d70aa
Wpub.coda.0 I100000c H1 P/vicepa m0 M0 U1bc18 W100000c C39999949 D39999949
B39aa1c7e A1a37
Bpub.coda.0.backup I1000014 H1 P/vicepa m0 M0 U1bc03 W100000c C399c402a
D399c402a B39999949 A0
[root_at_deckard /vice]#

Right now, I have Coda5.3.8 built with krb5 support on RedHat6.2 x86, but I
also noticed this error before I was using kerberos (using the prebuilt
rpms). Everything seems fine until I start creating volumes with ids greater
than about 1000010. Operation is normal before that seemingly magic number.
It's not a hard and fast line, but once I see the problem, it's there to
stay. I've tried purging the "corrupt" volumes and creating new ones (both
same and different volume names). Sometimes I can manage to get a clean
volume or two created before the listing gets corrupt, but typically all
subsequent volumes are not displayed properly.

My largest current issue with this is that I'm having trouble creating any
replicated volumes. createvol_rep reports: "Found no partitions for server
deckard." This is for the SCM as well as other machines/volume groups. I can
manage to create an SCM volume, however if I purge the last "corrupt" volume
and delete /vice/vol/BigVolumeList. But then this volume is bad in the
getvolumelist. Activities that do not seem to rely on getvolumelist seem to
be fine (ie backups, dumps, etc.).

Thanks for your help.

Stephan B. Koledin
The Motley Fool