Coda File System

Re: reinitializing server cache

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:47:04 -0400
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 10:56:34PM -0400, Ashwin Krishna Patil wrote:

> Is there any easy way to reinit server cache without rebooting the server
> or wiping volumes?  I'm taking a whole bunch of "cold cache" transfer
> measurements. Thanks. I know venus -init wipes client cache.

The server really isn't a cache, and doesn't use one. If you want to
wipe a server you'll lose the volumes because the file metadata is
stored along with the volume information in RVM.

Remove the contents of /vicepa, and reinitialize the RVM log and data.
Then recreate all volumes and repopulate them with the mountpoints.

The cold caching effect might normally happen on low memory machines.
When a server has enough memory all metadata is already mapped into
memory. To achieve the effects of a server that needs to go back to swap
for the metadata, run a program that agressively allocates and uses
large amounts of memory so that the server is pushed into swap.