Coda File System

coda and mandrake

From: florin <florin_at_mandrakesoft.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:31:13 +0200
Hello to you all,

I've been working on coda for 10 days now and trying to make it work on
a mandrake
distrib.

1) packages
I did not succeed to install those rpm packages on Mandrake 7.1 and
above,
so I rebuild/modified them.
All the packages are now available on the contribs directory in the
cooker
section.

I also added the coda-doc package, a bit modified and patched for the
sgml-tools-1.0.9. the package sgml-tools-1.0.9-5mdk is already patched
for
coda-doc.

2) configuration problems
I'm a bit lost with the documentation that doesn't seem to be updated
according to the latest versions of coda.

Here are my problems:

after the scm installation server I do the following:

		auth2
		rpc2portmap
		updatesrv
		updateclnt -h test7.mandrakesoft.com
		startserver &
		tail -f /vice/srv/SrvLog
		createvol_rep codaroot E0000100 /vicepa

which seem to work fine.

a) the client part
the client seems to work fine despite a message like : Kernel version
ioctl failed

i'm able to login as admin user with the changeme password but either if
try to change passwords (for admin user or for a common user, created
with
pdbtool) i get nothing but fails. I managed once to change the passwords
just after the scm setup but not afterwards. The auth2 daemon seems to
be
there because I am able to login.

Obviously the only way left is to use the same sequence from the
vice-setup-user script in order to create users<->passwords (the au cp
or
the cpasswd do not work for me)

b) replication
i have two computers called moonlight and alderande (moonlight is the
scm).

So after setting up moonlight i modify the /vice/db/servers like the
following:
moonlight 1
alderande 2

then i add a second line in /vice/db/VSGDB and the files looks like
this:
E0000100 moonlight
E0000101 moonlight alderande

of course I install the non scm server alderande (i have no prb on dns
or
/etc/hosts because i know they all work fine),

and if i fire the command createvol_rep mandrake E0000101 /vicepa
(servers moonlight alderande)
i get a message cannot find alderande partitions or something like that.

so, do you experts have a solution for this. It's surely very easy
because
i'm not experienced with this, yet.

thanks for your time
--