Coda File System

Re: windows 98 problem

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:34:29 -0400
On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 12:02:41PM +0430, b98thojo_at_student.his.se wrote:
> Hello and thanks for the help so far.
>
> My server is now running fine and I got no problem with the Linux client.
>
> But I would like to see the windows 98 client work as well (or the
> part of it, which is working)
>
> When I start windows 98 the venus.exe starts just fine (or I think so)
> Connecting servers .....
> These servers still down: localhost
>
> Why is it trying to checkservers on localhost when it got the server
> IP address? It must be therefore I cant access the drive N or???

Does the linux client run on the same machine as the coda server?

Your network configuration was probably bad, and gethostbyname(server)
probably returned 127.0.0.1 at the time the volume got created. This
information is persistently stored in (at least) the Volume Location
Database which is used by the clients to find the servers on which a
volume is located.

First check the /etc/hosts on the server. Make sure that
your-machine.your-domain is correctly associated with the ip-address
through which the machine is reachable. Then stop and restart the
coda-server. When the server is running again, run `bldvldb.sh'.

Then reinitialize all the clients, either start them with -init flag, or
create an empty file /usr/coda/venus.cache/INIT. And cross your fingers
that it all works and you won't have to reinitialize the server from
scratch.