Coda File System

Re: venus does not start

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:04:02 -0400
On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 12:40:09PM +0200, Alan Scheinine wrote:
> 12:21:32 Kernel version ioctl failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)!
> 12:21:32 2.3 or later kernels require an updated kernel module!
> 12:21:32 Getting Root Volume information...
> 12:21:32 Venus starting...
> 12:21:32 Fatal Signal (11); pid 16787 becoming a zombie...
> 12:21:32 You may use gdb to attach to 16787
>
> The message is the same in the file /usr/coda/etc/console,
> there is no additional information.  The message is the same
> whether I use just "venus"  or  "venus -d 10"  as suggested above
> or using "venus -init" ; there is the same error message
> and no additional information in the console file.
>
> Please, do you have any other suggestions?

Any crash such as this should leave some information in either
/usr/coda/etc/venus.log or /usr/coda/etc/console. At the -d 10 level the
venus log should at least have a lot of information about what venus was
doing right before crashing.

Would you mind sending me those files in private, as they can sometimes
be quite big and I don't think many people would appreciate to get them
through codalist_at_coda ;)