Coda File System

Re: venus does not start

From: Alan Scheinine <scheinin_at_crs4.it>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:40:09 +0200 (METDST)
Jan wrote:
 > Venus is trying to connect a server with ip-address 0.0.0.0. I don't
 > know why. Maybe the gethostbyname fails without returning an error or
 > something stupid like that.
 >
 > A log at loglevel 10 (venus -d 10) might help, otherwise try
 > reinitializing venus or even put the IP addresses of the servers in
 > /etc/hosts and reinitialize venus (venus -init).

I put the names and internet numbers of the computers in /etc/hosts
and now the error message is:

12:21:32 Kernel version ioctl failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)!
12:21:32 2.3 or later kernels require an updated kernel module!
12:21:32 Getting Root Volume information...
12:21:32 Venus starting...
12:21:32 Fatal Signal (11); pid 16787 becoming a zombie...
12:21:32 You may use gdb to attach to 16787

The message is the same in the file /usr/coda/etc/console,
there is no additional information.  The message is the same
whether I use just "venus"  or  "venus -d 10"  as suggested above
or using "venus -init" ; there is the same error message
and no additional information in the console file.

Please, do you have any other suggestions?

Alan Scheinine