Coda File System

venus does not start

From: Alan Scheinine <scheinin_at_crs4.it>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 18:29:25 +0200 (METDST)
Previously I had initialized the server by using the instructions in
chapter 13, what to do if Coda crashes.  This time, using version
5.3.5 I installed the server from scratch, using the same procedure
I had used when I first installed Coda many months ago using version
5.3.3 .  (Aside from the obvious changes related to lwp and the new
lines in the venus configuration file.)
And still venus fails giving the message

18:25:35 Kernel version ioctl failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)!
18:25:35 2.3 or later kernels require an updated kernel module!
18:25:35 Initial LRDB allocation
18:25:35 Getting Root Volume information...
18:25:35 Venus starting...
18:25:50 fatal error -- vsgent::Connect: (0) failed (-2004)
18:25:50 RecovTerminate: clean shutdown

Again, the console file says
18:25:50 RecovTerminate: clean shutdown
Assertion failed: 0, file "comm.cc", line 2707

Since many people are waiting for me to restore the software,
any help would be appreciated.

Alan Scheinine  Email: scheinin_at_crs4.it