Coda File System

problem with rdsinit

From: Jens Thiele <karme_at_unforgettable.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:17:53 +0200
i compiled:
lwp-1.4.tar.gz
rvm-1.0.tar.gz
rpc2-1.3.tar.gz
coda-5.3.6.tgz
linux-coda-5.2.3-linux2.2.9.tgz

on:

linux-2.2.14
debian 2.1:
	ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: shared libraries
	gcc version 2.7.2.3

all compiles fine
but vice-setup reports an error.
The error is reported by rdsinit (started from vice-setup-rvm started
from vice-setup).
relevant output from vice-setup-rvm (I added the Calling line):

Rdsinit will initialize data and log.
This takes a while.
Calling rdsinit -f /var/log/codalog /var/log/codadata 23068672
0x20000000 0x1200000 0x100000 80 32
rvm_initialize succeeded.
Going to initialize data file to zero, could take awhile.
done.
?  ERROR: rds_zap_heap RVM_EOFFSET.

Now I read in the mailinglist that this perhaps happens with low memory
=> i tried another machine
(The same software configuration but much more memory) but the same
error occured.
btw i tried it verry often ;-) and even a reboot didn't help ;-))

thx for any help

PS: the init scipts use a non-existent path (/var/lock/subsys) for the
lock files on debian
    and silently do nothing ;-) (for me I changed it to /var/lock)

--
email karme_at_unforgettable.com
IRC   Karme