Coda File System

Re: Coda directory read-only

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:05:47 -0500
On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 11:15:15AM -0600, Thomas Mangin wrote:

> > Have you got the necessary token?  And how is the ACL of the directory
> > set?  "ctokens" will show what tokens you have, "clog" will help you
> > to obtain a token, "cfs la <dir>" will show what ACL the <dir> has.
> >

> The documentation confused me ...
> I created a unix user call it codausr uid/guid 600
> During the install I was asked its UID and a name let's say codadmin
>
> I would like to know what is my admin password ..
> Whatever I tryed I got a (RPC2_NOTAUTHENTIFICATED (F))

That one is also nicely given during the setup, the following is from
vice-setup-user (part of the vice-setup script):

echo "An initial administrative user $username (id $userid)"
echo "with Coda password changeme now exists."

> I tryed to play with pbdtool but failed to do anything usefull

Pdbtool is for managing users/groups, not passwords.

> [clement_at_aria c.clement]$ cfs la /coda/usr/c.clement/
> > System:Administrators  rlidwka
> >              clement  rlidwka
>
> Can you explain me what the usr/c.clement is used for ...
> (is it linked to your venus.conf file ?)

That is his home volume, here is an example of some volumes I encounter
while going to the one that stores my email...

volume-mountpoint	volume			ACLs
/coda			vmm:coda.root		System:Administrators all
					       	System:AnyUser rl

/coda/usr		vmm:usr			System:Administrators all
						System:AnyUser rl

/coda/usr/jaharkes	vm:u.jaharkes		System:Administrators all
						System:AnyUser rl
						jaharkes all

/coda/usr/jaharkes/Mail	vm:u.jaharkes.mail	System:Administrators all
						jaharkes all

We use the part of the volume name before the colon to indicate on which
replicated servergroup the volume is located. After the colon is
commonly a indication of whether it is a user or project volume and
which user or project is the volume's principal owner. The last part
indicates the volume's main purpose in life, storing mail, compilation
objects, papers/theses.

Ofcourse this is just a naming convention we happen to use, but it does
make it easier to quickly figure out where a volume is located in the
directory tree and which servers are responsible for storing the
replica's, or who to contact if something is wrong with the volume etc.

I tend to have pretty much the same acl on most directories within a
volume, but that is probably because I can make new volumes whenever I
feel like it ;)