Coda File System

Re: problems with "createvol_rep"

From: Shafeeq Sinnamohideen <shafeeq_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:24:53 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Madhav wrote:

(...)
> What is your log partition? /dev/hda12
>
> The log size must be smaller than you log partition.
> We recommend not more than 30M log size, and 2M is a good choice.
> What is your log size? (enter as e.g. '2M') 12M
>
> What is your data partition (or file)? /dev/hda11
>
> The data size must be approx 4% of you server file space.
> We have templates for servers of approx: 500M, 1G, 2.2G, 3.3G, 8G
> (you can store less, but not more on such servers).
> The corresponding data sizes are  22M, 44M, 90M, 130M, 315M.
> (use 315M only on very fast machines)
> Pick one of the defaults, otherwise I will bail out
>
> What is the size of you data partition (or file)
> [22M,44M, 90M, 130M, 200M, 315M]: 133M

This seems to be the problem        ^^^
If you don't pick one of the defaults, you must manually initialize RVM
using the rdsinit program, as this message indicates :

> LOG file has been initialized!
>
> Read rdsinit(8) use rdsinit to configure your data area.

Picking 130M would probably be the easier way.

> [root_at_server1 /]#/etc/rc.d/init.d/codasrv.init start

This server should be failing to start due to its RVM data area not being
uninitialized.
/vice/srv/SrvErr and /vice/srv/SrvLog should give some indication of this.

Good luck,
Shafeeq