Coda File System

Re: filcon and Coda ports

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_fnord.ir.bbn.com>
Date: 08 Mar 2000 07:49:38 -0500
I have a coda client connected to the net/server by only a 28.8 modem.
It has a hoard file, and some bits on the server changed, so it wanted
to fetch about 3 Mb of stuff.  This made the link unusable for
interactive use.  I realize that I should be running some CBQ stuff on
the link with the latest ISSLOW packet interruption stuff to get
better interactive performance, but it would be very nice to be able
to do two things:

* throttle coda down to half the link speed or so, in general
* throttle hoard-based fetches down to some fraction

I still want coda to go full-bore when I ask for a file, but not when
it's just fetching stuff just in case.  But most of the time, I might
as well proactively fetch on the line, since it isn't heavily loaded.

I think the filcon stuff can almost do the first part, but can't do
the second.  This is probably related to what it takes to make coda
tcp-friendly by matching TCP's congestion avoidance behavior, although
that might as well be done by switching to TCP for side-effects.

        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>