Coda File System

Re: venus in hung state

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:19:02 -0500
On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 12:54:54AM -0500, Laszlo Vecsey wrote:
> I'm not sure why but lately venus has been getting in a hung state every
> now and then -- /coda cant be accessed. I'll try to peek through the logs
> or turn on extra debugging to see whats up.

Actually it should have been improved a bit lately. Venus used to keep
the kernel device open when it crashed, and the kernel would keep on
trying to post upcalls to a dead venus. Venus now closes /dev/cfs0 when
it goes down, so that the kernel can return EIO on all attempts to
access /coda.

Ofcourse if venus isn't crashed it might be either, timing out on
server probes, or the thread hits a Wait() when it enters a volume with
a CML that is owned by another user. Still have to look into why it does
that.