Coda File System

Re: Quick question.

From: Shafeeq Sinnamohideen <shafeeq_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:02:39 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Evan Brewer wrote:

> I am new to the coda system, and have run into a bug.  Upon initial setup of a server side
> installation, I am getting an odd error.  The server has an ip address of 192.168.1.20 so
> hopefully there isnt any resolution via ip address.  Anyhow here is where I am stuck..

What's the OS the server is running ? At least on BSDs we have trouble
with DNS resolution sometimes failing in codasrv & venus when it works
fine in other programs. We're working on it, but have't found the cause
yet. The solution for now is to make sure that the server itself and
all clients in its /etc/hosts file, but if you're using that address
you probably have that already. Some of the code in both also use only
the host name and not the fully qualified name, but that shouldn't be the
problem if 'ionizer' resolves correctly.

> V_BindToServer: binding to host ionizer
> RPC2_NewBinding to server ionizer failed with RPC2_NOBINDING (F)
> Failure to make volume on ionizer!. Abort..

Either volutil is failing to communicate with the server entirely, or the
server decides not to give volutil a connection. You can turn up the
debugging level of the server by starting it with : startserver -d 10
and look for messages in the log about a new connection.

Good luck,
Shafeeq