Coda File System

Re: errors with installing and running 5.2.7

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:20:50 -0400
On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 10:04:32AM -0400, squeegy_at_squeegy.org wrote:

> these are my errors:
>
> First on initializing my rvm data partition
> I get the following error:
>
> Going to initialize data file to zero, could take awhile.
> done.
> ?  ERROR: rds_zap_heap RVM_EINTERNAL.
> Error in rdsinit. Exiting.

Well, this means that the recoverable virtual memory (RVM) is not
correctly initialized.

Remove /vice/srv.conf and run 'vice-setup-rvm', which takes you through
the steps for setting up rvm again.

First set up something simple, 2M log is more than sufficient, and 44 or
90M data. It looks like it fails to mmap the data segment, maybe the
large log was mapped in an overlapping region, or there was not enough
space for the data segment.

> Next when I attempt to start the codasrv.init

Can't start the server without first initializing RVM.

> If I do a ps ax | grep coda, the codasrv is running as well as the
> updatesrv and updateclnt and auth2 and startsvr and rpc2portmap

The server is dead, just idling in an endless loop waiting for someone
to attach a debugger. You can kill it, as there is nothing to debug.