Coda File System

Re: Slackware Linux

From: Brian Widdas <brian_at_widdas.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:32:04 +0100 (BST)
On 1 Sep 1999, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     avenger> Actually..let me retrieve all the error messages here.  I
>     avenger> realize the glibc part and originally I thought that was
>     avenger> the issue with it..however slak4 dist has glibc in the
>     avenger> optional package installs and I have it installed and
>     avenger> libc5 removed..or did..which I might add was nice that
>     avenger> they mentioned just installing glibc would crash your
>     avenger> system if you didn't do 8 things first.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, the slackware support for libc6 only extends
> to run-time, not development. I think you're SOL. :)

There is a full glibc package in the Slackware contrib, but you have to be
very careful when installing them - there's a symlink to libc5 (I think
it's in /usr/lib) which will get overwritten during the untar process, and
this will trash your existing libc, leaving you with an unusable system
which you have to rescue with a floppy. And, becuase this occurs half-way
through, it doesn't fully install glibc, either. From what I found,
removing the symlink seems to solve the problem.

But... even after installing glibc, and altering the GCC configs as per
the instructions, it still doesn't compile Coda...

So I gave up.

Brian