Coda File System

Re: picking up CFLAGS in ./configure

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:34:56 -0400
On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 10:19:11AM +0200, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> > Per the suggestion for gcc 2.95, I am trying to build with
> > -fpermissive.  I'm using Debian, so I tried
> >
> > CFLAGS=-fpermissive CXXFLAGS=-fpermissive debian/rules binary
>
> Unfortunately it isn't enough to use the -fpermissive flag to compile
> the C++ sources, other changes are required as well.
>
> I'm working on the Solaris port of the Coda server and cross-check the
> source by compiling it on Linux as well. On Solaris I use gcc 2.8.1, on
> Linux 2.95. Now I am able to compile the whole package on both systems
> - *only* the test-runnings are ahead of me.
>
> Best regards,
> Jozsef

Have you been in touch with Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>. He already
has a server running on Solaris, although I don't know what version.
He checked the changes he needed into the CVS tree. Currently Phil is
hacking his way throuh the kernel module for the client.

On the topic of the CFLAGS, with egcs we also needed to add
-fno-exceptions to the CFLAGS, since the exception handling breaks with
our LWP package (user level threads). Also, not all Makefiles are
correctly inheriting the CFLAGS, my initial quick hack was to define
CXX="g++ -fno-exceptions". Later on I added it to the configure script,
and -fpermissive could probably be added in the same way.