Coda File System

Re: Coda diconnected operation

From: Kragen <kragen_at_pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:17:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Michael D. Ivey wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 1998 at 05:24:31PM -0400, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
> > Did you ever resolve the disconnected operation issue? I'm
> > at the same stage you were, with a working client/server, and
>
> Well, I followed Peter's advice and made a replicated volume.  I've
> deleted and recreated and uninstalled and reinstalled so many times
> I'm sick.

Can I expect to have similar problems?  I was hoping to demo Coda for
the Cincinnati Linux Users' Group in a few weeks, and I was hoping it
would be something I could install in an hour or two.

I expect Coda will be really, really important for a lot of people in
the near future.  The combination of replicated servers for reliability
and disconnected clients will be a true killer app, uh, filesystem.  :)

Some things I'm wondering about:
- Can I mount a Coda volume on an NFS server or Samba server for the
benefit of those peons who don't have the Coda client stuff on their
machines?
- I know Coda handles authorization a little better than NFS, right?

I read the mailing list, but I miss a lot.

Kragen (hopeful of answers)

The sages do not believe that making no mistakes is a blessing. They believe,
rather, that the great virtue of man lies in his ability to correct his
mistakes and continually make a new man of himself.  -- Wang Yang-Ming