Coda File System

Re: Coda performance on PPC

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 11:58:58 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Phil Nelson wrote:

> >Well, sorta ;) You need to do some magic with gcc and the libstc++ library
> >or things segfault all over the place (PPC uses egcs as the default
> >compiler and libstc++ that comes with egcs is apparently not thread safe).
> >If anyone wants to try it, I strongly encourage you to contact me.
>
> What are the problems with the libstdc++ that comes with egcs?
>
> If they are major problems, it could cause trouble for future NetBSD
> releases because NetBSD is moving to egcs.

see http://www.cygnus.com/~ncm/stdlib.html

There might also be PPC-specific problems with egcs and/or glibc versions
I have. I thought I had the problem narrowed down to only libstdc++, but I
recompiled everything a couple of days ago with egcs, using the *old*
libstdc++ and the problem reappeared. I'm going to look at this a little
more when I get coda-4.6.5.

I'm not really sure what the problem is anymore, I just know a procedure
to build coda that works.. I'm hoping someone else will try it on PPC (or
maybe on Intel with egcs) and figure this out.

Btw, has anyone built coda with egcs on Intel? (*bsd or linux?)

> --
> Phil Nelson                    NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
> e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu        !gifs: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html
> http://www.cs.wwu.edu/~phil

| Troy Benjegerdes    |    troybenj_at_iastate.edu    |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.linux.org |