Coda File System

Re: 4.6.0 == No Go

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 18:49:33 -0400 (EDT)
> How much swap do you think I will need for a glibc box to make a RVM
> data partition of 315M? I had the same problem, with 48M real mem and
> 128M virtual mem. I couldn't make a 315M RVM partition but I did ok
> with a 130M RVM.

Well, currently an identical copy of the rvm data partition is stored in
memory (swap). So you'd need 315M more swapspace than under normal
circumstances, which I agree is definitely too much.

> So what happens if you drop below the 4% threshold? I was hoping to
> put more than 3GB of disk on a coda server. I was hoping to put
> something more on the order of 20GB on a server. (I have lots of disk
> but not that many machines). The usage would be generally pretty light
> but I need to store lots of stuff.

The RVM stores all metadata, so you would not be able to store as many
files. I don't have the precise calculation here, but I believe the
average filesize is calculated to be around 8KB.

> -ben

-- Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>