Coda File System

Re: Win 95 stuff (was Re: coda-4.6.0-pre1 available)

From: Michael Callahan <mjc_at_rodagroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 17:43:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 14 May 1998, Derek Fawcus wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 05:21:22PM -0400, Michael Callahan wrote:
> > 2) There should be better handling of cases in filenames.  Recall that the
> > Microsoft world has case-insensitive filenames whereas Coda, of course,
> > has case-sensitive ones.  It's not totally clear what the right thing to
> > do is.  It would be good, though, to choose a precise match if one exists,
> > and otherwise fall back to match case-insensitively.  Note that if an
> > upcall on a given name fails, it may be necessary to open the containing
> > directory and read it to find the correctly cased name that matches
> > (case-insensitively) a given filename.
>
>   Well in theory it supports case sensitive filenames,  it's supposed
> to be a flag that the file system exports.  However,  from the
> experiences of the samba people it seems some applications simply ignore
> this,  and e.g. save a document as "file.doc" and open a document
> as "file.DOC".

I'm not sure the'res any real support for case-sensitive filenames.  Not
only do applications play fast-and-loose, but many paths are handed to the
filesystem driver already uppercased.  Perhaps there's a flag that would
prevent IFSMGR from doing that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there
isn't.

> > Also, the port needs a MPR plug-in.  This is a user-level DLL that
> > provides network service APIs.  There is documentation in the MSDN about
> > what this needs to do.
> >
> > The MPR thing is important not because the functionality matters that
> > much, but because I'm pretty sure it is preventing OLE applications from
> > opening documents stored on Coda drives.  My bet is that OLE calls the
> > networking APIs for purposes of registering things in the Running Object
> > Table or something similar.
>
>   So I guess that means MS Word doesn't work.  If so then it'll provide a
> relativly easy test case for getting it right.

Sure, or even WordPad.

Michael