Coda File System

Re: Win 95 stuff (was Re: coda-4.6.0-pre1 available)

From: Derek Fawcus <derek_at_spider.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:31:56 +0100
On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 05:21:22PM -0400, Michael Callahan wrote:
> 2) There should be better handling of cases in filenames.  Recall that the
> Microsoft world has case-insensitive filenames whereas Coda, of course,
> has case-sensitive ones.  It's not totally clear what the right thing to
> do is.  It would be good, though, to choose a precise match if one exists,
> and otherwise fall back to match case-insensitively.  Note that if an
> upcall on a given name fails, it may be necessary to open the containing
> directory and read it to find the correctly cased name that matches
> (case-insensitively) a given filename.

  Well in theory it supports case sensitive filenames,  it's supposed
to be a flag that the file system exports.  However,  from the
experiences of the samba people it seems some applications simply ignore
this,  and e.g. save a document as "file.doc" and open a document
as "file.DOC".

  It should probably be possible to grab the case conversion stuff from
samba and fold it in.

  That reminds me;  path name lengths will probably be another problem.
Since the maximum path length (win95) is something like 257ish chars,
some sort of fudging with multiple drive letters (or fake shares) may be
required.

> Also, the port needs a MPR plug-in.  This is a user-level DLL that
> provides network service APIs.  There is documentation in the MSDN about
> what this needs to do.
>
> The MPR thing is important not because the functionality matters that
> much, but because I'm pretty sure it is preventing OLE applications from
> opening documents stored on Coda drives.  My bet is that OLE calls the
> networking APIs for purposes of registering things in the Running Object
> Table or something similar.

  So I guess that means MS Word doesn't work.  If so then it'll provide a
relativly easy test case for getting it right.

DF
--
Derek Fawcus                                                    derek_at_spider.com
Spider Software Ltd.                                        +44 (0) 131 475 7034