Coda File System

yer port numbers suck

From: <thoth_at_purplefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:02:26 -0400
  I just decided to add the coda ports to my packet filter.  What a pain in
the ass.

  Rather than having one filter entry of ipfwadm -I -W eth0 -p reject -P udp
-D 0.0.0.0/0 1355:1362, I have to have 8 separate entries or in the unknown
future, 4 of my client application UDP connections will fail miserably and
then everything will return to normal.  I haven't done the TCP filters, but
they're going to be a pain also.

  For the future, please register a SOLID BLOCK of VERY HIGH port numbers with
the IANA.  Preferrably in the area of 30000 to 32000.  A machine would have to
be up for a very long time before it started dispensing in that range.

  I wonder if I just change the entries in /etc/services will that remap the
ports for ALL APPLICATIONS in the coda suite.

--
Bob Forsman                                   thoth_at_gainesville.fl.us
           http://www.gainesville.fl.us/~thoth/