Coda File System

Re: installing coda has speedbumps

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:00:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 thoth_at_purplefrog.com wrote:

>   1) the limitation on the RVM data sizes in the shell script is a bit
> of a pain.  I wish I'd known about that before I started partitioning.
>
>   Is there any way you can write a pack of exprs to auto-calculate
> parameters for a non-standard size?  Is there any way you can get the
> size of the partitions automatically and offer their sizes as a default?

That would lead to problems, since you don't want your RVM data to be too
big. 100MB (for a good 2GB of filespace) is comfortable, much more leads
to long startup times.

You can use rvmutl to make a log file and rdsinit to set any sizes you
want.   Keep start of the heap the same,  and adjust the heap size with
the size of the data file.  The static area only needs to be a page long.

>   2) The /vice/bin/auth2 binary wasn't copied into place.  I only found
> this out by running an strace -fp on the authmon.  I made a link from
> /usr/local/sbin/auth2 and then the auth server was able to start.
> However, I now have a chain of about 12 nested authmon processes.

You have an old version of Coda I think.  That string was removed.

>   My diagnosis is that you don't have an exit(1) after the execvp on
> line 172 of coda-src/auth2/authmon.cc .  This is a common mistake that
> only shows up if the exec fails for some reason.  When you add it, also
> add a diagnostic message to stderr such as "failed to execvp auth2".

Thanks, will do!

- Peter -