Coda File System

Re: Coda development

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 14:16:22 -0400
On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 02:09:36PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> when creating a new volume' setting. It is actually hard to do this
> right at the createvol_rep scripting level because setting acls requires
> access to the volume through /coda, but right after creation the volume
> isn't mounted anywhere, and the VRDB/VLDB databases may not even be
> synced to all servers yet so even if we force a temporary mount the
> mountpoint may not resolve right away.

Aw, now I remember why we used to need the System:AnyUser ACL on the
root of a new volume. Before realms, the /coda mountpoint would be the
root directory of the first created volume. But to authenticate we
clog needed access to /coda/.CONTROL, which was not possible without
AnyUser access for unauthenticated users. So there was a bootstrapping
chicken and egg issue when we didn't set that ACL by default.

But because of realms, we don't have to care anymore because /coda is a
directory invented by venus to show realm mountpoints that will allow
access even to unauthenticated users.

So we can safely remove the System:AnyUser default acl when creating a
new volume root because the admin can always set it when he creates the
new mount point.