Coda File System

Re: Coda development

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 09:25:05 -0400
On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 01:13:53PM +0200, u-myfx_at_aetey.se wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 12:22:09AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > Now when there is no optimistic replication:
>
> This looks like the way AFS took. Surely this does bring certain
> advantages but buys them by losing other ones. Optimistic replication
> was one of the reasons we chose Coda before OpenAFS. This was not the
> only reason but an important one.

You are being quite unfair to Coda, it brings a whole lot more than just
optimistic replication. We still have,

- Disconnected operation with log optimizations.
- Whole file caching and hoarding!
- Atomic (server) operations without requiring additional file locking.
- Simpler more maintainable in-kernel module that is actually part of
  Linux and various other OS kernels.
- 99% of the complexity is in a userspace binary that is using a pretty
  much identical codebase across all supported platforms.