Coda File System

Re: Re (and a patch) : Coda git repository available

From: Adam Goode <adam_at_spicenitz.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 21:06:02 -0500
On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 10:10:34PM +0200, u-myfx_at_aetey.se wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 02:04:51PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > > things like the pioctl in/out structures seem to be defined at the spot
> > > of the implementation which makes it very easy to make a change
> > > somewhere that is not picked up elsewhere.
> > >
> > > Considering how many places need to change I'm no longer sure I want to
> > > reshuffle and am starting to think that having common pioctl
> pack/unpack
> > > functions in a shared place might be a better approach. Going to have
> > > ponder this a bit.
> >
> > Nice, thanks for this cleanup!
>
> I don't have a cleanup yet, maybe thank whoever resolves
>     https://github.com/cmusatyalab/coda/issues/1.
>
> I am busy trying to get binary builds working again. The library dance
> is all coming back to me,
>
>     - build tarballs for lwp, rpc2, rvm, coda.
>     - build lwp library as deb and rpm packages for 32 and 64 bit.
>       (really should build separate versions for each stable and lts
>        distribution wheezy, jessie, trusty, wily, xenial, fc-22, fc-23,
>        rhel-6, rhel-7, but that is 18 different combinations and it
>        doesn't cover freebsd/netbsd and such for which I don't even have
>        build VMs set up)
>     - find a problem in the rpm build.
>
>     - rebuild tarballs for lwp, rpc2, rvm, coda.
>     - build lwp library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - push lwp into private repos.
>     - build rpc2 library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - discover a problem with how rpc2 or lwp was built or packaged, go
>       back to the beginning.
>
>     - rebuild tarballs for lwp, rpc2, rvm, coda.
>     - build lwp library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - push lwp into private repos.
>     - build rpc2 library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - push rpc2 into private repos.
>     - build rvm library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - push rvm into private repos.
>     - discover that I somehow managed to not install the right lwp
>       library on the build host so I have to rebuild rpc2 and rvm and
>       push new versions.
>
> It doesn't help that the packaging files are part of the source tree so
> any packaging problem requires a rebuild of the source archive, that was
> probably mistake #1. The fact that any scripts I used to use are no
> longer working as I moved to a new desktop at least twice since the last
> release. Right now it is actually easier and far more reliable to just
> build from git than it is to build these packages from source tarballs.

I recommend removing the specfiles from your repository. They are
distro-specific and should be stored in the distro's repositories. Here are
Fedora's:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/lwp.git/
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/rpc2.git/
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/rvm.git/
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/coda.git/

Although it looks like coda has been retired from Fedora from lack of use.

If you want to do binary packaging, you might consider making a Docker
package.

Adam