Coda File System

Re: FUSE/pioctl (was Re: Coda development roadmap)

From: <u-codalist-z149_at_aetey.se>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 15:21:17 +0200
On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 08:28:59AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
[using xattrs as the interface to Coda-specific data]
> appropriates the namespace from the user for other things.  Also,

+1

> backup programs will (should) back up xattr by default, so that may be an
> issue.

+1

As for xattr semantics, according to Wikipedia they
"associate computer files with metadata not interpreted by the filesystem,
whereas regular attributes have a purpose strictly defined by the
filesystem", the suggested use breaks such a border. Of course
Wikipedia is not any authority for us, but the users would be confused.

Backup is one of the subsystems in Coda which I do not see as satisfactory.
That's why we backup on file level despite the shortcomings of such
a fashion.
Xattrs containing acls may be useful in such a context but also may
happen to mess things up, depending on the situation.

Rune