Coda File System

Re: updated directories being removed from client cache

From: <u-codalist-rcma_at_aetey.se>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:39:58 +0100
Hi Brett,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 09:51:46PM +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
> I am running coda on a recent NetBSD-current which seems to be running
> fine (a previous rvm problem seems to have vanished with the update
> which is good).  There are a couple of quirks:
>
> 1) vi always claims that the file on disk is newer than the edited
> buffer.  I suspect this is a stat(2) problem (possibly related to time_t
> being extended) which I will dig into.

I saw this some time, unfortunately do not remember on which platform.
Nice if you can find the cause.

> 2) I have noticed that modified directories disappear out of my client
> cache after the changes have been integrated.  I can easily bring them
> back in by accessing the directories in connected mode - I can see a
> fetch of the affected directory happen in codacon when I do this.  It is
> just a bit annoying is all - I effectively have to hoard the modified
> directories otherwise when I go disconnected mode they are not
> available.  This didn't happen in the past but I am not sure where to
> look for this one - I am guessing venus but I am not 100% sure.

I don't think I ever saw this (primarily running on Linux),
my guess would be that venus and the kernel misunderstand each other
on whether the directory object is up-to-date.

Do you run Coda from git://coda.cs.cmu.edu/project/coda/dev ?

Rune