Coda File System

Re: strange missing ..

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:54:09 +1030
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 09:05:24AM +0000, u-codalist-9wcu_at_aetey.se wrote:

> > all get their .. entries (should be the same directory) in this bad
> > state at once.
>
> I would become suspicious concerning the kernel part of Coda as ".." is
> subject to lot of special handling there. I did not test NetBSD for
> several months so can not contribute with the actual experience.

Agreed - that does sound like a suspect high on the list, perhaps
another ipl64 issue.

> Another guess is about the client RVM being quite large.
> This may trigger subtle bugs if some pointers are being limited
> in range (truncated?) or otherwise if something collides with
> RVM in the address space - which always is an issue when you
> mmap at a fixed address as RVM needs.

Oh, the bugs are less than subtle - there are 32bit types in the rvm
structures that would wrap, no doubt about it.  I did try fixing them
but that made my coda server core dump which sort of stalled me.

--
Brett Lymn
Staple Guns: because duct tape doesn't make that KerCHUNK sound - xkcd.com