Coda File System

Re: New work on Coda for Summer 2011

From: M Satyanarayanan <satya_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:36:40 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Phil,
  "Perfection is reached not when there is nothing more to add,
  but when there is nothing more to take away."  Antoine St. Exupery

  I encourage you to be ruthless and single-minded in shrinking
the CodaVA  down to the tiniest that you can get away with.
The critical metric is  (VM disk size - Coda cache size).
If you can get this down to the few hundred MB  that would be terrific.
A Coda cache of 500MB to 1GB should be reasonable, so total VM size would
then be less than 1GB.  Release this as version 1.0 and let people
try it out.  Over time, based on actual usage experience the CodaVA
can be grown.  On this first pass, push as hard as you can on shrinking.
I'd love for us to be able to say with reasonable confidence "This is
the bare minimum that is absolutely needed for a fully
self-contained Coda client."  (i.e. only command line support,
but all tools such as "cfs", "repair", etc. work.  gcodacon
might be exception since it requires GUI support; perhaps a
non-GUI flavor of it is possible, e.g. the expanded volume-specific
details using curses(3).)

What we learn from this extreme shrinking might be of value in
thinking about Coda in new worlds like Android.

    -- Satya