Coda File System

From: <u+codalist-wk5r_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 17:47:33 +0200
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 09:47:59AM -0400, M. Satyanarayanan wrote:
> On Thursday 20 May 2010 08:45:28 Greg Troxel wrote:
> > I don't think people are advocating "rip out coda kernel module support
> > From venus".  It's more "add in a way to compile for FUSE instead".

Not really. It would complicate the code, development and maintenance.

> Ah!  Sensible enough.  I was thinking that the suggestion was to just
> eliminate the Coda kernel module altogether.  That has the attractive
> property of less code to maintain :-)

It was in fact the full replacement I had in mind. I feel that the
burden of kernel maintenance is harmful (cuts down both the number
of suitable platforms AND the availability of Coda when a supported
platform is naturally changing).

I expect that FUSE offers more stability than the kernel's internal
interfaces.

Adding FUSE as a complement might be sensible if
 - it is really easy
 - does not provide all functionality
 - provides sufficient functionality to satisfy most of the prospective
   Coda users on a platform not supported in a better way

Regards,
Rune