Coda File System

Re: modular clog + kerberos uid mis-match

From: <u+codalist-wk5r_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:52:48 +0100
Hi Don,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:03:48PM -0800, root wrote:
> [root_at_sandbox4 ~]# ctokens @coda.realm
>
> Tokens [local user id: root]
>
>   @coda.realm
>       Coda user id:    484
>       Expiration time: Thu Feb 25 04:48:07 2010
>
> [root_at_sandbox4 ~]# grep 484 /etc/{passwd,group}
>

> Where in the world is uid 484??  The ACL's very rightfully lock this "484"

Why are you looking in /etc in the first hand?

Coda ids [are its internal business and they] have nothing to do with
the local clients' ideas of uids and gids (the ideas are different on
different client hosts, how can a Coda server be concerned about them?)

Unfortunately Coda for historical reasons still exposes its internal
"uid" as the "owner uid" in the results of stat() calls. This does not
have any reason and contributes to the confusion for many people between
local and global entities. This might be usable for troubleshooting but
otherwise it seriously hinders understanding. This is one of the pityful
heritages from AFS.

Guess how many times I had to explain this? :)

Regards,
Rune