Coda File System

Re: volume replication to new server

From: Neil Horman <nhorman_at_tuxdriver.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:07:02 -0500
On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 10:56:58AM -0330, Roger Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a new user.  I have run a single server operation for a few weeks
> and just added a second one.  Both systems were installed from CVS
> source onto Gentoo linux boxes.
>
> After adding the second machine I created a new volume on that is
> replicated on both the SCM and second server.  The createvol_rep
> command completed sucessfully and I then created a mountpoint for the
> volume from one of my clients.  I tested successfully that the mounted
> volume is writeable when either the SCM or second server is down.
>
> Now I would like volumes created _before_ adding the second server to
> be replicated to it.
>
> Is this possible?  If so, how?

I've been using coda for a few months now, and I've found that if you have a
volume that you want replicated to a newly added server, you can do so by
creating a new volume (either with volutil clone if you want at read-only
replica), or with volutil create if you want a read-write replica.  In the
latter case, however, after you create the replica, you will need to manually
edit the VRDB to make coda aware that the new volume is a replica of the
origional (see man vrdb for details).

Neil

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Roger