Coda File System

Re: Coda newbie

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 14:00:54 -0400
Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:

> I have made significant improvements to the kernel module that will be
> shipped with FreeBSD 7.1 in a couple of months.  It should be possible
> to compile the new version of the kernel module on a 7.0 system as
> they have basically the same KPI for VFS.  It may even be possible to
> simply use the 7.1 Coda kernel module on 7.0, although I would
> discourage that.

Thanks for mentioning it here - I should take a look and see what of
those changes I should port to NetBSD.

> I've been thinking about removing support for older Coda versions in
> the FreeBSD module, since they're done at compile-time, and this list
> is probably a good a list as any to ask about it.

I have not yet removed support for the old venus protocol from NetBSD,
but I think it's time.

> Finally, as Rune reports, there is a reported issue with the Linux ABI
> emulation and the Coda kernel modules.  It's unclear to me whether
> this is a bug in the ABI emulation layer or the Coda kernel module,
> and unfortunately I've not had time to track down that issue.  It
> would be good to get that fixed before FreeBSD 7.1 ships.

That's interesting - there is a directory reading problem with linux
programs on NetBSD, and it seems to be a disagreement about how
directories do or don't cross 4K boundaries, but I'm not clear on what's
going on.