Coda File System

Re: Assertion failed: 0, file srvproc.cc", line 4117: Please Guide

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:18:12 +0200
Hello Dhiraj,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 03:27:15PM +0530, dhiraj_c_at_students.iiit.ac.in wrote:
> 1.) What does it really mean by directory size of 256kb? does it mean the
> directory can contain information of its contents inside it (sub-dirs or
> files) of 256kb characters only?

No. It is file/subdirectory names with some meta information which
can not together exceed 256K.

> 2.) How should I solve this problem of limited files in a directory? does
> it mean I have to create sub directories in the volume to store the files?

Yes.

> Note. In my actual implementation of a distributed storage system in need
> to store around 20000000 files of 300 KB size which can be accommodated
> easily in 315 MB of RVM.

sorry to tell you,
you either mistyped the number above or erroneously interpreted
the "limitations" data.

About 768Mb RVM might be enough for about 10^6 files.

Your expected number of files seems to be an order of magnitude higher,
this is not going to work without tricks (running multiple servers
hosting different volumes) which leads to a lot of additional administration
burden (like making sure the data amounts are properly distributed between
the servers).

> 3.) Is there a work-around for this problem or is this problem solved in
> coda 6.0 or above?

The limited size of the directory is still there, but you also seem to have
another severe problem with the number of files.

Using an old version of Coda is highly questionable in any case.
Coda is moving forward, version 5 is by all standards obsoleted.

Best regards,
Rune