Coda File System

Re: Moderately large storage under Coda

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:17:23 +0200
Hi all,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:20:46PM -0500, James R. Leu wrote:
> I store 65GB of data in my coda tree.
> Any one client only hoards about 40GB
> of if though.
>
> While not at the levels your speaking of,
> I'm certainly higher then the 3.3GB data set.

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:30:19AM -0700, Andy Valencia wrote:
> > I can tell from the manuals, Coda doesn't want any one data set to be
> > more than 3.3GB (with an RVM data size of 130M)?

A bit curious what "a data set" is in this context and what place
in the documentation is referred to?

[Otherwise the "how much data is it possible to put on Coda" question
seems to have been beaten to death on the list, a number of times.
I realize that it is pretty hard to successfully search in the list archives,
that's a pity.]

> I would be interested to hear from the devs
> what they think the limitations are and
> what challenges they face to increase that
> limitation.

Isn't http://coda.wikidev.net/Limitations a good starting place?

Most of the limitations are the results of early implementation decisions,
under very different premises, many years ago.
None of the remaining limitations seems to be easy to lift,
while most of them certainly can and should go away.

Some things are more fundamental, like whole-file caching.
Some are just unfortunate choices made once upon a time,
like the implementation of directory storage.

Regards,
Rune