Coda File System

Re: What is the max file system size on a 64 bit machine

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:41:32 +0100
Hi Jan,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 01:11:27PM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > My impression is though that this addressing possibility is hardly usable
> > by Coda servers/clients due to the rest of the code (and the protocols)
> > containing 32-bit limitations. What is the situation in this respect?
>
> The 32-bit limitations are on things like the size of individual files
> and IPv4-only addresses.
>
> The kind of information that is sent back and forth between Coda clients
> and servers. The memory address of some internal file object is never
> sent across the net, so we can just use whatever pointer values the
> local machine uses, which can be 64-bit.

Does this mean that it is possible to set up a realm with servers
on 64-bit machines, using huge multi-GB RVMs and thus potentially hosting
many millions of files? That would mean scalability improvement in that respect
about an order of magnitude, if other limitations do not come into play?

Regards,
Rune