Coda File System

Re: bison now required for rpc2?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 12:50:56 -0400
On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 09:13:48AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 08:19:31AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >> if [ ! -x "$YACC" ]; then
> >
> > I think I like this test best. Really we should include the generated
> > parser.c and lexer.c code in the distributed sources, however we can't
> > because the generated code seems platform specific (i.e. it required
> > stdint.h).
>
> I have modified configure to look for yacc explicitly and not have a
> fallback, and I think this is a good solution.  I remove the test for
> success, but I'd leave that in and I'll see how that works.

The test for success was added to avoid build problems later on when
people didn't have bison or yacc installed. The warnings were pretty
obscure. In fact I think the missing script basically creates an empty
rp2gen_parser.c, which then results in a lot of obscure warnings during
the link phase that don't really indicate that the 'generated' parser
code is really an empty file.

So if AC_PROG_YACC does the right thing already, but only fails to set
the ac_cv_prog_YACC variable when /usr/bin/yacc is installed, then I'm
just testing the wrong variable.