Coda File System

Re: Coda client, 32-bit userland on a 64-bit kernel?

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:56:10 +0200
Hello Brett,

thanks for taking the time to answer!

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 09:07:00PM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 01:16:25PM +0200, u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se wrote:
> >
> > We lack the hardware for doing regular development on x86_64
> > nor are we inclined to duplicate the efforts for maintaining another
> > development environment.
> > Keeping userland 32-bit does indeed spare a lot of resources.

> Why not just use something like qemu to do the 32bit work? Performance
> should be quite acceptable on a 64bit machine.

It is unfortunately the other way around, we have 32-bit of both worlds,
hardware and software, but we want/have to support 64-bits systems as well.
Not a problem to run the usual userspace, nor for the kernel module for Coda
(available in the stock binary kernels) - but a challenge for the Coda client
userspace.

Thanks anyway!
Rune